What the children will need
Generally we will run Forest School in all weathers, all year round. Of course, there will be times if the weather is very bad that we might need to cancel a session but this is rare. So….. the right clothes are crucial. For children (and parents) to get the most from the session and to keep smiling, they need to keep warm and dry. The saying “there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing” is very true.
There are a couple of things to remember: it can often be colder in the woods so layers are really important, it will often be muddy and wet so waterproofs (trousers and coats) are essential. Please send them in old clothes and expect them to get dirty, and also tell them that this is ok. As this probably goes against what we usually say, children may need permission from you to get dirty.
For all forest school sessions they will need:
- Layers of clothes (how many will depend on the season/weather)
- Sturdy boots, wellies, socks/welly socks (2 pairs of socks for wellies, as they don’t keep feet warm
- Long sleeved tops and trousers (this will keep them warm on cold days and stop them being stung by nettles or being scratched on warm days)
- Water bottle
- Hat – sunhat in summer, warm hat in winter
- Waterproof jackets and trousers
- Sun cream in summer
- Gloves and scarves in winter